Hfn-class 4-wheel Hopper Wagon No.5108

South Australian Railways

Narrow Gauge

 

Class operators                                                 South Australian Railways

Condition                                                             Good

Entered service                                                  December 1912

Ownership                                                          National Railway Museum

Provenance                                                        South Australian Railways

Withdrawn                                                          1989

Length (over coupling points)                        17’ 9’’ (5.41m)

Tare Weight                                                        5 tons 3 cwt (5152kg)

Load Weight                                                      11 tons (11,000kg)

 

Originally classed Z, this wagon is one of 25 built by James Martin & Co. of Gawler between September and December 1912. It is a smaller version of the broad-gauge Z-class wagon, and was used for the carriage of coal and ballast. No. 5108 was used on the Peterborough Division and finally on the Gladstone-Wilmington branch. Acquired by the museum, it was on loan to the Pichi Richi Railway during 1989.

Visit the NRM

76 Lipson Street
Port Adelaide
South Australia  5015
Australia
Open Daily / 10am – 4:30pm

Adult

$12

Concession

$9

Child
5-15 yrs & with an adult

$6

Family
2 adults & up to 3 children

$32

  • Prices may vary for special events
  • Open from 12pm on ANZAC Day
  • Closed Christmas Day

The National Railway Museum acknowledges the Kaurna people as the traditional owners and custodians of the Adelaide Plains. We honour and respect their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country. We aim to respect the cultural heritage, customs and beliefs of all Indigenous people.

Go to top