South Australian Railways
Class operators South Australian Railways
Entered service November 1912
Entered the museum 24th July 1986
Length (over coupling points) 17’ 9’’ (5.41m)
Load Weight 12 tons (12,000kg)
Ownership National Railway Museum
Provenance South Australian Railways
Tare Weight 5 tons 5 cwt (5254kg)
General freight was carried over the narrow-gauge rails of the South Australian Railways in large numbers of small 4-wheel wooden open wagons. Wagons 5017 and 5019 belong to this type and were built at the Islington Workshops in November 1912.
Known as the Y-class these wagons were the final development of this type of wagon on the 3’ 6’’ (narrow) gauge. Built for the Northern System, later the Peterborough Division, they were finally isolated on the Gladstone - Wilmington line with the opening of the standard-gauge line between Port Pirie and Broken Hill in January 1970.
5019 was placed in the Mile End Railway Museum on 24th July 1986, but 5017 came under Australian National ownership on 1st March 1978 and was not obtained by the Museum until 1988.
They were sent to the museum on 5th June 1987 and 11th November 1988 respectively.