5-ton Travelling Crane No. 2327

South Australian Railways

Broad Gauge

 

Class operators                                                 South Australian Railways

Condition                                                             Good

Entered service                                                  1881

Entered the museum                                       16.09.1970

Number in class                                                2

Ownership                                                          History Trust of South Australia

Provenance                                                        South Australian Railways

Withdrawn                                                          1970

 

Travelling cranes were usually manually operated cranes which could be used for lifting light loads around goods yards.

Number 2327 is one of two cranes which were built by Cowans, Sheldon, England, and placed in service by the South Australian Railways in 1882 as Crane Number 3 (Adelaide). Number 2326 became Crane Number 3 (Port Adelaide). The numbers 2326 and 2327 were given circa 1903.

In 1932 each crane was equipped with a match wagon - G-class 4-wheel steel open wagon No.1101 being added to No.2326 and G363 being added to 2327.

Visit the NRM

76 Lipson Street
Port Adelaide
South Australia  5015
Australia
Open Daily / 10am – 4:30pm

Adult

$12

Concession

$9

Child
5-15 yrs & with an adult

$6

Family
2 adults & up to 3 children

$32

  • Prices may vary for special events
  • Open from 12pm on ANZAC Day
  • Closed Christmas Day

The National Railway Museum acknowledges the Kaurna people as the traditional owners and custodians of the Adelaide Plains. We honour and respect their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country. We aim to respect the cultural heritage, customs and beliefs of all Indigenous people.

Go to top