South Australian Railways
Class operators South Australian Railways
Entered service April 1902
Entered the museum 16.09.1970
Length (over coupling points) 20’ 10’’ (6.35 metres)
Number in class 47
Ownership History Trust of South Australia
Provenance South Australian Railways
This is the match-wagon for the crane No. 2327. Built at the Islington Workshops in April 1902, it is one of 47 36’’ sided steel open wagons built between 1894 and 1903. Used to carry 11 tons of general freight they were soon eclipsed by the larger Y-class which were introduced in 1909. Most were converted to F-class flat wagons in 1932, and the remainder used for departmental purposes.
No. 363 assumed its role as match-wagon in 1932, was written off in 1969, and placed in the Mile End Railway Museum on 10th September 1970. It was moved to the Port Dock Museum on 18th June 1987.