South Australian Railways
Class operators: South Australian Railways
Entered service: 29.5.1919
Entered the museum: 1.4.1995
Ownership: History Trust of South Australia
Provenance: South Australian Railways
4074 was built in 1919 by the South Australian Railways as a composite brake van with accommodation for 20 second class passengers. It was one of 62 similar brake vans that were used at the rear of goods trains.
Passenger compartments are located either end of the vehicle, with two bench seats in each compartment. Entry into each compartment is by an outward opening side-loading door, with no access to the goods area located between the passenger compartments. Luggage racks are provided above each seat.
The goods area is divided evenly by a central guard’s compartment fitted with an observation lookout. The brake van was never fitted with a toilet or washroom.