South Australian Railways
Class operators: South Australian Railways
Entered service: 1925
Entered the museum: 8.10.1968
Length (over coupling points): 37’ 10’’ (11.53 metres)
Ownership: History Trust of South Australia
Provenance: South Australian Railways
Withdrawn: 8th October 1968
The influence of American born South Australian Railways Commissioner, W. A. Webb, can be seen in the caboose style design chosen for 30 broad gauge (1600mm) brake vans introduced in 1925.
Each van was equipped with bunks, cooking facilities, food cupboards and a guard’s desk. The central cupola had elevated seats for four with clothes lockers beneath.
They saw regular service on the rear of goods trains until replaced by modern steel brake vans in the 1960s. Their last years were spent being used as employee sleepers on track gang work trains.
Number 4367 was retired to the museum on 8th October 1968.