South Australian Railways
Class operators South Australian Railways/South Australian Department of Chemistry
Entered service 1906
Ownership National Railway Museum
Withdrawn 14th December 1964
Entered the museum 1975
The South Australian Department of Chemistry opened an explosives magazine near Dry Creek, just north of Adelaide, in 1904. Originally horses and drays carried the explosives in magazines overland from Broad Creek. However, the construction of a 2 foot (609mm) Tramway in January 1906 brought this to an end.
This vehicle is one of a number that were pulled by horses on the Tramway from Dry Creek to a jetty at Broad Creek. This jetty was used for the loading of ketches in the North Arm of the Port Adelaide River, east of Torrens Island.