Boomerang Miniature Railway
10 inch gauge
Class operators Boomerang Miniature Railway
Entered service 1935
Entered the museum 1989
Ownership National Railway Museum
This steam 254mm (10inch) gauge locomotive, was built for the Boomerang Miniature Railway (so named because it ran on an oval track and always came back) by Alfred Thomas Daniels over a period of seven years.
It first ran in 1935 hauling three carriages round a track laid in the playground adjacent to the Thebarton Oval. It was taken to the Wayville showgrounds in 1936 as part of the Centenary of South Australia Exhibition.
It last ran under steam during World War II at Attunga Hospital, Kensington Road, raising money for charity. The owner, Alfred, sold it to a showman after the war and he converted it to run with a petrol motor. It ran at various Adelaide beaches.
The museum received Boomerang in 1989 and it was restored by volunteers in 2004.