Cafeteria Car No. C1

South Australian Railways

Broad Gauge

 

Class operators                                                   South Australian Railways; Australian National Railways

Condition                                                             Good (not operational)

Entered service                                                   1947

Entered the museum                                           28/6/1988

Number in class                                                  1

Ownership                                                          Port Dock Station Railway Trust

Provenance                                                        South Australian Railways

Withdrawn                                                          1984

 

Built by the South Australian Railways at the Islington Works in 1947, the broad gauge Cafeteria Car was the first of a new generation of passenger vehicles introduced to the State. It spent most of its life on the ‘East West Express’ between Adelaide and Port Pirie enabling the elimination of the traditional refreshment stops. After a few years on hire to the Victorian Railways, it was withdrawn in 1984 and stored until purchased by the museum in very poor condition. A major refurbishment, costing many thousands of dollars, restored it to its authentic 1940s decor.

Visit the NRM

76 Lipson Street
Port Adelaide
South Australia  5015
Australia
Open Daily / 10am – 4:30pm

Adult

$12

Concession

$9

Child
5-15 yrs & with an adult

$6

Family
2 adults & up to 3 children

$32

  • Prices may vary for special events
  • Open from 12pm on ANZAC Day
  • Closed Christmas Day

The National Railway Museum acknowledges the Kaurna people as the traditional owners and custodians of the Adelaide Plains. We honour and respect their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country. We aim to respect the cultural heritage, customs and beliefs of all Indigenous people.

Go to top