South Australian Railways
Class operators South Australian Railways; Australian National Railways
Provenance South Australian Railways; Australian National
Ownership Port Dock Station Railway Trust
Entered service January 1954
Entered the museum 26th January 1983
Number in class 100
Tare Weight 7 tons 15 cwt (7762 kilograms)
Load Weight 9 head
Length (over coupling points) 20’ 10’’ (6.35m)
Like the Sf-class, the Cf-class was a 4-wheel version of larger bogie vans built in 1929. As with sheep the need arose for vehicles in which smaller numbers of animals could be shipped, and the first Cf van was placed in service in October 1953. The 100 vans of this class were unusual in that all wooden components were produced by the Islington Workshops while the steel underframes were manufactured by the Perry Engineering Co., Mile End. All passed into Australian National ownership in March 1978.
No.26 was condemned on 23rd November 1982 and passed to the Mile End Railway Museum on 24th January 1983. It was forwarded to the museum 5th June 1987.