Thank you for thinking of volunteering at the National Railway Museum. Our current volunteer vacancies are listed below:
Please be advised we are not able to provide volunteering roles for people under the age of 18.
- Boiler attendant (small locomotive)
- Carriage builder (x3)
- Diesel fitter
- Electrician - testing and tagging 240 volt
- Fetler/track worker - narrow gauge railway track
- Household painter
- IT Technician
- Mechanical Engineer (CAD/drawings)
- Retail shop assistant - weekdays (x5)
- Retail shop assistant - weekends (x5)
- Small train operations administration officer
- Spray painter
- Ticket collector (seasonal, small Semaphore train)
Volunteering hours at the National Railway Museum can be flexible, provided they fall between 7am and 4pm. As we are a daily operation, including weekends, some volunteer positions may involve weekend hours. Onsite training for roles is provided. Knowledge of trains and railways is not required to volunteer at the National Railway Museum.
Volunteer of the Year Nomination Form
The Volunteer of the Year Award is aimed to acknowledge the less visible, unsung heroes in our Museum who have, through their creativity, initiative, personal time or attainments, made a positive and demonstrable contribution to the National Railway Museum.