Motorised Inspection Car 4

Commonwealth Railways

Standard Gauge


Class operators: Commonwealth Railways

Condition: Excellent

Entered service: 1941

Entered the museum: 1980

Ownership: Port Dock Station Railway Trust

Withdrawn: 1978


Basically a 1941 Maple Leaf Chevrolet, MIC 4 was used as a Commonwealth Railways standard gauge inspection and pay car.

Fitted with steel railway wheels it ran initially on the lines from Port Augusta to Woomera and Cook and was equipped with a hydraulic turntable for reversing.

Originally donated to Steamtown Peterborough in 1978, it was in turn donated to the museum in 1980.

Visit the NRM

76 Lipson Street
Port Adelaide
South Australia  5015
Open Daily / 10am – 4:30pm





5-15 yrs & with an adult


2 adults & up to 3 children


  • Prices may vary for special events
  • EFTPOS is preferred payment method
  • Open from 12pm on ANZAC Day
  • Closed Christmas Day

Phone: 8341 1690

The National Railway Museum acknowledges the Kaurna people as the traditional owners and custodians of the Adelaide Plains. We honour and respect their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country. We aim to respect the cultural heritage, customs and beliefs of all Indigenous people.

Go to top