South Australian Railways
Class operators South Australian Railways
Entered service 1919
Entered the museum 1995
Number in class 103
Ownership History Trust of South Australia
Provenance South Australian Railways
Between 1908 and 1924 the South Australian Railways ordered 103 centre and end-loading carriages, and 27 end-loading baggage cars, for use on its suburban steam hauled services. The body design was loosely based on carriages that had been imported from America by the Holdfast Bay Railway Co., in 1880.
Car 446 was built by J. S. Bagshaw and Sons and entered service on 16th June 1919. It was altered little during its life, except for auto-couplers and through gangways being fitted in 1936.
It was allocated to SteamRanger in 1978. After a number of years out of service, the History Trust of South Australia transferred it to the museum in 1995.