FB-class Flat Car No. 8500

South Australian Railways

Broad Gauge


Class operators                                                   South Australian Railways

Provenance                                                         South Australian Railways

Condition                                                             Very good

Ownership                                                           Port Dock Station Railway Trust

Entered service                                                  1927

Entered the museum                                          28th June 1988

Length (over coupling points)                            46’ (14.02m)

Tare Weight                                                       16 tonne (16,000kg)


The FB-class flat cars were built in the 1920s under the direction of Commissioner Webb for carrying general freight. They were recoded AFFA in the 1970s.

The museum has FB No.8500.

Visit the NRM

76 Lipson Street
Port Adelaide
South Australia  5015
Open Daily / 10am – 4:30pm





5-15 yrs & with an adult


2 adults & up to 3 children


  • Prices may vary for special events
  • EFTPOS is preferred payment method
  • Open from 12pm on ANZAC Day
  • Closed Christmas Day

Phone: 8341 1690

The National Railway Museum acknowledges the Kaurna people as the traditional owners and custodians of the Adelaide Plains. We honour and respect their ongoing cultural and spiritual connections to this country. We aim to respect the cultural heritage, customs and beliefs of all Indigenous people.

Go to top