The objectives of the National Railway Museum shall be to operate a railway museum (currently at the former site of the Port Dock Station at Port Adelaide) and include the following:
- to store, research, document, maintain, conserve, protect and preserve collection material;
- to make available to the public an extensive and complete representation of Australia’s railway history;
- to manage a railway museum and associated business activities for the benefit of the people of Australia, including the general public and members of the NRM;
- to hold regular meetings of members of the NRM;
- to publish a periodical journal, books and other material on subjects relevant to the NRM or any of its objects;
- to hold conferences, seminars and workshops on subjects related to any of its objects.