At the NRM, we take care of our collections to the highest possible standard. However, this is a costly and time consuming exercise, and as such the Museum must be selective in what it chooses to accept. Items must be meaningful and make a significant contribution to the story that the NRM is trying to convey. We therefore need to discuss your proposed donation with you before accepting any items. The overarching document that governs what we collect at the NRM is the National Railway Museum Collection Policy.
Please look over the checklist below to determine if your object is suitable for our collection:
- Is the item related to Australian railway history? (necessary)
- Can you describe what it is? (necessary)
- Do you know who made it?
- Do you know its history? (necessary)
- Are there any personal stories associated with it?
- Where did you get it from?
- Can you confirm that you or the legal owner would be happy to transfer ownership of the item permanently to the NRM? (necessary)
- Can you provide a digital image of it, including close up shots of any identifying marks?
- Can you describe its physical condition, including whether it is in good/fair/poor condition?
If you can provide information for at least the four questions marked ‘necessary’, your item may be useful for the NRM.
If you would like to offer a donation to the NRM, please fill out the Donation Information Form and send it to the Curator and Business Manager. A response will be given as soon as practicable. Donations must be approved by the Curator - Collections or the relevant Collection Manager before being given to the Museum. Any item that has not been through that process will not be accepted.
If you would like more information, please contact Curator and Business Manager.
Leave A Gift To The National Railway Museum In Your Will
Please help us to ensure that future generations can continue to enjoy the Museum and learn about Australian railway history by including a bequest in your will.
Before finalising your bequest please make an appointment to discuss your plans, please contact Curator and Business Manager.
For more information, go to Join & Support